Dr. Carl Weems
- Professor and Chair, Department of Human Development and Family Studies
My relevant research has centered on basic research in developmental psychopathology focused on testing bio-behavioral, and cognitive-developmental models of emotional development. The goal of this research is to usefully integrate developmental, cognitive-neuroscience (using MRI techniques), biological-hormonal models (using hormonal and physiological assessments), and behavioral theories in an attempt to understand the origins and course of internalizing. For example, one line of research examines how the effects of severe stress influence brain development in regions critical to the evaluation of emotional stimuli (i.e., frontal lobe, amygdala, hippocampus).
- Post Doc, Developmental Psychology, Stanford University, 2001
- Ph.D., Developmental Psychology, Florida International University, 1999
- M.A., Experimental Psychology, Hollins College, 1995
- B.A., Psychology, Florida State University, 1993